Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Awesome Food

It feels great to be back in Kyoto. It was only two years ago that I was last here, but it feels nostalgic to come back to this wonderful city. Knowing the lay of the land certainly helps in my enjoyment, especially when it comes to food. Everything was just as I remembered.

I started with my "usual" miso soup, rice, and hot tea for breakfast down at the restaurant I frequented during my last stay. There is no traditional breakfast that makes you feel better than this one does.


For lunch I tried out a new place - Paris21e over on Shijo Dori in downtown Kyoto, it had extremely delicious thin slices of sirloin steak in expertly seasoned sauce, cooked perfectly medium rare (they never asked how I wanted my steak, they simply made it the best way possible). The salad had some of the best dressing I've ever tasted (lots of lemon juice) and the "potage" was warm and delicious. The meal was finished with a dessert crepe.
For dinner I went back to the kaitenzushi place I used to frequent. Conveyor belt sushi that's super fresh and super cheap. 8 plates of Nigiri and all the hot tea I can drink, and I get out of the place for $10 flat, there's nothing much better than that. If you ever visit Japan, make sure to stop in at a kaitensushi (conveyor-belt sushi) place.
This is why I LOVE Kansai; It's all about the food!

Edit: Also, Beer vending machines FTW!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so hungry right now after your description. It's morning here and I don't eat red meat very often, but I want everything on your menu.

Jennifer said...

Dang, there is nothing like breakfast in Japan. Well, food in Japan in general is awesome, but something about that simple breakfast is just spectacular to me.