Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Osaka

So I hit Osaka airport, and managed to find my way through customs, convert $700 to Yen, buy a day pass at JR trains, get on the right train, and get off at the correct staion, all with my fairly basic Japanese. I'm surprised at how useful the Japanese I know has been. Without it I would have gotten on the wrong train or stayed lost at Kyoto station. Most people really put forth an effort to understand me, even if they don't know any English, and it has worked out well so far.

The plane rides were, as expected, miserable. The train ride, however, was exhilerating and fun. It was SO fast, and there was so much to see in the hour ride from Osaka to Kyoto. Here's a video of the train crossing the super long bridge from the airport to Osaka city.




2 comments:

Erika Ishii said...

Sooo... You didn't show the train interior, I see. But it's good to know that even limited Japanese skills are enough to get through all the complicated transportation endeavors. Of course, you've always been good at figuring that type of thing out anyway. Even if I was fluent, I'd probably somehow end up on a boat to China or something when I was really trying to take a train to Kyoto.

Unknown said...

That's a fast train. Next time, I'd like to see what the top of the train looks like right before you go through a tunnel. Could you do that for us?